I have told my customers hundreds of times “finding the best mattress for you is the most difficult thing that you can shop for”. There are so many different choices, you’re never sure if you’re getting a good deal, and how are you supposed to know if you’ve got the best mattress until you’ve been sleeping on it for a few weeks? As difficult as each of those problems are, to me, there is an even more difficult facet of buying a mattress.
Many, if not most, of our customers are couples that both sleep on the same bed. And while the dynamics of every relationship are different, there is usually a “decider” and a “go-along”. This “go-along” often says that they can sleep on anything, that the “decider” has worse back problems, or that their comfort isn’t as important as the “decider’s”.
- You are going to spend a THIRD of your life on this mattress, for the next ten years. Don’t you deserve to be comfortable, as much as your partner? If there is a possibility, even if it’s slight, that you won’t sleep well for TEN years, isn’t it worth looking into? That’s 29,200 hours of tossing and turning. You deserve the best mattress for your body type and support needs.
- Your partner’s back might be worse now, but who’s to say that yours won’t catch up? Or that your hip and shoulder pain is less important? Or that you won’t DEVELOP back pain from sleeping on a mattress that isn’t the best for you?
- One word: RESENTMENT. If you’re not sleeping well, you will resent your partner for not only choosing the bed, but for sleeping well on it while you’re up at night.
Not to worry, if there cannot be a happy medium, there are other solutions that don’t involve separate bedrooms. Here are some ideas so that everyone can be happy, rested, and pain free:
- Beautyrest makes beds that have a softer side and a firmer side, but not for long. It was last year’s feature, and isn’t available for this year’s models. Call us for details and to see if they’re still available.
- Memory foam is great for people who need different levels of support, or are of different body types. The memory foam responds to your body’s unique curves, and gives everyone unique support, complete pressure relief, and a motion free sleep. One mattress may be the best mattress for everyone!
- If you’re buying a king, you may want to consider two twin extra-long beds placed next to each other on a frame. This set up is exactly the same dimensions as a king size, so your sheets and covers won’t be different. We even have a device that will strap them together, and fill in the center crevice, called a Create-a-King. We can help you select mattresses that will be the same height, and that way each person has their own unique feel and support. This idea is also used all the time with adjustable bases…
So for all you “go-along” partners, remember that you deserve to be comfortable too. Sure, there are times that giving in is easier than fighting for what you really want, and I’m a big proponent of letting everyone win every once in a while. But don’t forget that this new purchase is a mattress, and can make your life great, or really exhausting and uncomfortable. Your choice.