Every few of years, a new innovation hits the mattress market. Â About ten years ago, memory foam was the new “it” thing. Â Then came beds that felt different on each side. Â Now, gel mattresses are popular. Â But what is gel, and what does it do?
A simple online search brings up a lot of retailer websites with gel, as well as a lot of manufacturer websites with gel. Â What’s missing is real information about what benefits there are to gel, without the tint of a sales pitch.
Ladies and gentlemen, that’s why I’m here. Â After finding little to no research about gel outÂ there, I have searched my own brain to explain these gel beds to you.
- First, there are two types of gel mattresses. Â The first has the gel layered on top of the foam in the mattress. Â I have found that this type of mattress is cooler, usually firmer, but always more expensive. The other type is made of gel infused memory foam, with little globules of gel suspendedÂ throughout the foam. Â I have found that this type is usually less expensive, definitely cooler, and feels more like a regular memory foam mattress (it doesn’t change the feel of the bed).
- Just so everyone is clear, this gel is not the consistency of gel toothpaste, it’s much firmer. Â However, it is softer than the gel that is used in shoe insoles. Â The gel that is used in beds is like very firm Jell-O, but it’s also a bit elastic, so it doesn’t break apart easily. Â For the gel that is layered by itself in a mattress, it can be sticky if the membrane surrounding it is broken, but it will still maintain it’s shape.
- All gel is man-made, but it is non-toxic. Â There is no smell, no residue.
- The main reason why gel is advantageous is the temperature factor. Â Gel absorbs excess body heat and keeps it away from the body. Â It always feels cool to the touch, and can help with warm sleepers, women in menopause, or anyone who likes a cooler sleep.
- Gel is also very durable, and keeps its form even after prolonged compression. Â This feature makes gel mattresses a no-brainer.
Is gel a fad, or is it here to stay? Â The number one complaint about memory foam is that it sleeps warm, and gel fixes that without drastically changing the feel, and with virtually no change to the support. Â The three factors turn a great night’s sleep into a horrible one are sound, light, and temperature. Â Gel could help many more people get a great night’s sleep.
If you would like to see some of our products that have gel in them, check out:
- All Comforpedic products have AirCool Memory Foam with TruTemp gel. Â This is the type of gel mattress that has the gel suspended in the memory foam. Â Lab studies have shown that these mattresses dissipate heat 2.8x faster than the competition.
- All Beautyrest Recharge and BeautySleep beds have GelTouch foam in them, which is a gel and polyurethane foam blend.
- All Beautyrest Recharge World Class beds have 1/2″ of actual TruTemp gel in the upholstery (not blended with memory foam, this is straight gel).
- In addition, the Dartmouth Drive and Trident Collections by Beautyrest Recharge World Class have AirCool Memory Foam with Micro GelTouch layers (this is a blended product).
- All iMattress models have iFusion Gel Memory Foam (this is a gel and memory foam blend). Â iMattress states that their proprietary blend makes the mattress easier to move around on, as well as cool to the touch.
As we add more gel products, we will keep you updated. Â Try out one of our gel mattresses today, and experience some cooler, more comfortable sleep!